Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Tuesday Treasure: A Gift of a Poem


In keeping with my Tuesday treasure hunts, I'm going to show you another treasure I found this week.  But unlike most of my "hunts," I didn't look for this one.  Rather, it found me.  I've been walking on air all week because of it.

My friend Irene at wordloversunite gave me this poem on Sunday.   I literally swooned with delight at it.   It shimmers and glitters and thrills--a real treasure.   Allow me to hold it up for you to admire:  


Simplicity 8953
- for Kirie

The pattern promises to make a princess
so I gather together tulle, organza,
duchess satin and dupioni silk
to spin a girl’s dream: flouncy slip
beneath shimmering skirt, puffy sleeves,
bodice edged with beaded rosette trim.
I don’t warn her about the clock
or tell her how glass slippers sometimes shatter.
I stay up till dawn, add a tuck
so that it fits just right
and later as she prances and twirls
I vow to hold her close
should white steeds dissolve into skittering mice,
the royal coach to a rotting pumpkin,
the prince lost in moonlight, then
caught dancing with someone else.

- Irene Latham


You can read more of Irene's work on her blog, http://wordloversunite.blogspot.com/, and in her book, What Came Before .  I am so honored that she would be inspired to write something so lovely for me.   I treasure it.   Thank you, Irene!!


DiggIt!Add to del.icio.usAdd to Technorati Faves

5 comments:

angela said...

I love the poem!

Mom

Irene Latham said...

Thanks Kirie and Kirie's mom! :) I was thinking that this, this right here, is why the world wide web is a wonderful thing. Because no other way would this have happened, and here we are touching each other's lives. I am so grateful.

Hannah Stephenson said...

Wonderful!!! This should be framed in your daughter's room...and illustrated!

Kirie said...

Storialist, I agree! I've got a perfect artist in mind....now to persuade her to do another commission! Thanks for the great idea! Irene, I'll let you know how it turns out.
K.

La Belette Rouge said...

What a lovely gift. It made me cry a second time. And, I totally agree with the Storialist. Print and frame it!

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.