Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Open Heart Letter 3: To My Husband


Over the years we've given each other countless little notes, most of which are too private to share here.  But I must include him in the open heart project, because, you see--he opened my world.

Here is a little note to the biggest love in my life.

My dear husband:

When we met, the color of the sky literally became brighter for me. It was as though a film had been peeled from the glass, and I could see the richness and the depth of the colors in the world.   All of the cliches of being lovestruck applied:  the birds really did sing more sweetly, every love song spoke about us.  I knew from the moment we first kissed that my life was about to change.

Sixteen years later I smile to think of that kiss, and thrill to think I was right.  What a gorgeous world we have made together.  I am, in every sense, the luckiest wife in the world.

Of course, we are not always stepping to the same rhythm.  We have had our disagreements and fights.  But the trust, the love, the oneness we have--it remains, true as the earth beneath us.   We walk together, in the same direction.  And with each step I take in this world, I reconfirm that there is no better partner, no bigger love, than you.    


*The photo is a heart-shaped piece of labradorite he brought back for me on a recent trip to Africa.   It is my favorite gemstone, fiery and modest at once.


DiggIt!Add to del.icio.usAdd to Technorati Faves

4 comments:

Julianne said...

What a lucky woman you are!

angela said...

Hi Kirie,

What a lovely letter - and the heart is perfect for Valentine's day!

I am so happy for you - you are so so very special as is your wonderful, intelligent husband. You make a great couple! I love you both so much.

Love, Mom

Lydia said...

Awww, this is so sweet!

Hannah Stephenson said...

Lovely! It's hard to write about happiness and love (to find a new way to talk about it).

Happy belated Valentine's Day.

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.