Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Lemonade Stand!


What is summer without a lemonade stand? I remember having these when I was a little girl, though I can't say the lemonade was that great--Koolade I pilfered from the kitchen cabinet, and sometimes mixed without the requisite sugar--yick. Ada's a bit more savvy than I was. Hers was natural lemonade, made with freshly squeezed lemons and real sugar.

In any case, I always loved starting a little "business." When I was Ada's age, the perfect business was selling lemonade and cookies on our driveway. The summer I was 10 (yes 10!), I started a mini daycamp with a girlfriend, to which we invited three toddlers for several hours a week. What a saint my mom was to let us do such a thing and supervise all of us--campers and councillors alike! I got more sophisticated as a teen, getting together with a group of girlfriends to make and sell splatter-painted tee shirts to neighbors and at a local craft fair. As I recall, the making was more fun than the selling itself, but it was a great lesson in planning a project and working with others.

Ada's first business venture went very well. While we sold things at our yard sale, Ada was a top-notch salesperson at her stand, selling $15.00 worth of lemonade, iced coffee, and brownies. She earned every penny, making perfect change, and giving out lovely napkins with each purchase. We were all very proud of her. And she was proud of herself, too. What will she come up with next?

DiggIt!Add to del.icio.usAdd to Technorati Faves

No comments:

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.