Monday, April 12, 2010

Greening


I woke up last week to see the trees in the yard tinted pink and dusty green, on the very brink of bursting into buds. It literally happened in the space between dusk and dawn, it seemed. Spring always sneaks up on me that way, and as much as I try to resist it (and I do, for some perverse reason), I end up giving into a not-quite-but-almost insidious joy that blows in on the warm breeze along with the pine pollen and the scent of green unfurlings.

Poems sneak up on me, too. With perfect timing, this one by Phillip Larkin found me on Sunday.



The Trees

The trees are coming into leaf
Like something almost being said;
The recent buds relax and spread,
Their greenness is a kind of grief.

Is it that they are born again
And we grow old? No, they die too,
Their yearly trick of looking new
Is written down in rings of grain.

Yet still the unresting castles thresh
In fullgrown thickness every May.
Last year is dead, they seem to say,
Begin afresh, afresh, afresh.

DiggIt!Add to del.icio.usAdd to Technorati Faves

8 comments:

Angie Muresan said...

That photo is lovely, Kirie. And the poem and your words describing the arrival of spring are perfect. Can't wait for your next post!

Cheryl said...

Is that your yard?!!! Gorgeous! And I love those lines,'The trees are coming into leaf, Like something almost being said.'

Happy Monday!!

La Belette Rouge said...

That last line of the poem brought out a loud and unexpected sigh. Yes, "Begin afresh, afresh, afresh."

Unknown said...

Love the poem. I was thinking when I sat down to relax on my sun porch today I could see the hosta growing before my eyes! What a change the last two days has made in our trees. Watching for more blog posts....

Hannah Stephenson said...

The poem gave me chills. It sounds rueful but hopeful.

Irene Latham said...

Yes, it's such an inspiring time of year! Thanks so much for the pic and poem. As always, your choices speak to me. Thank you! xxoo

Maggie May said...

I love the poem, so lovely. What a gorgeous yard!

Unknown said...

I love spring and this photo captures the serene beauty so well. Ms. Spanish and I went backpacking a few weeks ago into the new greenery and it was surreal. Hope all is well!

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.